Tuesday, February 7, 2012

new blog!

I've decided to document our first days living together. It has been one month and 6 days since we have lived at our first home, 1077 Shirley St in Winthrop. We are paying $1295. Since I just moved here from Canada, I'm working on getting acclimatized to life in the US, and I can't work, so I'm at home most of the time. I spend my time researching random stuff on the internet, watching amazing American reality tv, cleaning (using the dishwasher!), and cooking.

We have been focusing on our relationship and getting to know what the two of us are like, living together. Since I've been jobless, I spent almost all of January buying Frank tons of presents (Ben Sherman stuff, new Doc Martins) on my credit card, and going to bars - and putting it on my credit card. And a lotttt of grocery shopping. As of right now, his parents let us use the car for a day a week so we can do our chores and shopping.

We really have been having fun making dinners. I've never been someone to even care about making fancy stuff or keeping my house clean, but now that's all I want.

So far we have made:

  • grilled trout with lemon
  • smoked pork shoulder, with a paprika-cayenne-mustard dry rub we made
  • our signature bean salad, with grilled corn, black and kidney beans, cilantro, lime
  • bacon-wrapped jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese
  • whole roast chicken with sliced lemon under the skin, with carrots and potatoes
  • homemade burgers
  • Frank's porkchop gravy
  • pancakes! 
I want to start using this blog as somewhere to add our recipes as we go along, as well as a review page for cottages/campgrounds, and scorpion bowls!

This winter so far has been crazy. We had one snowfall in January, and one night that was bitterly, bitterly cold. It just so happened that that night, we were making steaks for Michelle and Rick on the grill, and the high winds blew the pilot light out on our gas furnace. We didn't  know what to do, and the whole house froze overnight (including the pipes) to the point that we were able to see our breath when we walked around. Other than that, it has been beautiful. 

So far, a ton of my friends have already booked spring trips to Boston. We've got Pearl and Matthew, my father, Tara from Heather's work, my mother, Heather, and Veronica. So excited for everyone to see this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment