Saturday, February 22, 2014

Beginning my Paleo Diet

On the bus the other day, I had a revelation to start the Paleo Diet. I don't know where it came from or why it occurred, but I became hell-bent on trying it. That night I went to the BPL (the big one in Copley Square - luckily the non-fiction area was near the door cause that place is nuts) and took out the Paleo Solution and Primal Blueprint Cookbook. I've read half of the former so far; I pick it up whenever I have two seconds. Although it's written for a 5 year old - I feel like most mainstream books, especially ones about "diets", probably need to be - it's full of interesting anthropological and medical info. Stuff about hormones and receptors and stuff like that that I can pretty much just get a surface understanding of, but that makes me get the gist of why foods are bad for us. Just got past the sleep and stress section, where we learn we should be getting 8-9 hrs a night and be done with commuting and losing our brains over work. The exercise section is coming up, and I'm excited about that!

I felt like I should record my food so I can go back to it later.

Here's my first two days. (And this is pre-grocery shopping, except for the second dinner)

Day 1 - Feb 20

breakfast - a cup of trail mix
lunch - leftover broiled porkchop - half a chop
           3/4 of a medium cucumber
           4 green grapes
dinner - sauteed fresh Italian sausage, peppers and onions
            baby greens salad with evoo and balsamic, Himalayan sea salt and cracked black pep (the only salt               and pep that we keep in the house)
dessert - baked apple drizzled with honey and cinnamon

Day 2 - Feb 21

breakfast - 1 small mcintosh apple, med black coffee
lunch - 3/4 lb roasted butternut squash (from Market Basket)
snack - handful of snow peas
dinner - sirloin steak, asparagus and mushrooms
after dinner - a couple glasses of red wine (which I shouldn't have, but we had a stroke of our bad, bad, bad               luck earlier in the day and wanted to relax. And play American Idol karaoke on the Wii)


So begins the 30 day challenge. Today I'm actually going to start the exercise part. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment