Friday, November 2, 2012

Last week's foods - kielbasa, bread, and bacon maple trout!

Lately there's been a lot of recipe-making in the house. Last night, we wanted to use the turkey kielbasa that somehow always makes its way into our freezer, so I found a way to make it super unhealthy!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Kielbasa-Bundles

While the thing was baking, we ate some of the leftover kielbasa slices plain, and they were so flavorful! I only browned them with green peps and onion and the flavor was awesome.

I omitted the butter and I forgot to put the bbq sauce in. (I was excited.) But we used bbq sauce as a dip afterwards, and it totally wasn't necessary. This was the first time that I had done an egg wash too, weirdly enough, and it was fun. Also, I love sesame seeds.

ALSO!

I have a 90's bread maker that's been in the cupboard since I moved here. And it's so old that I can't even find a google image for it. The other day at BJs I remembered I had the thing, and bought some dry yeast...

...yeah...2 lbs of it. I then realized that you need one fuckin teaspoon of yeast per loaf, and the opened package goes bad in 2 weeks. OH WELL. Point was, I made my first bread yesterday!!



It was awesome. I set it and left it for 3 hrs and 30 mins and went to the gym. Upon arriving at the gym, I almost had a heart attack imagining that the bread maker fell off the counter (cause it almost did) and set the house on fire and no one would be able to reach us. Nothing happened though, and I just got a real dense, small loaf of white bread and a yummy smellin' house!

Also, we made the BEST FISH.

We treated ourselves to a lovely trip to Whole Foods. Now that I know that there's one relatively close, I'm pretty excited. Items purchased:

  • Trout! Way more than I thought!
  • Fresh baked baguette on sale. 
  • Small goat Brie (size small, not from a small goat)
  • 2 prosciutto/provolone stuffed peppers, my love...
  • Honeycrisp apples. Life changing. 
  • Pumpkin risotto
  • Big, big beets 
  • Butternut squash
  • and some other stuff.
  • So the idea that we had was to make the grilled trout, with a side of grilled butternut squash. Let's just say it went better than planned. This was the most delicious butternut squash of all time. It was already cut into chunks, and then I marinated it for about an hour in: olive oil, honey, malt vinegar, fresh garlic, rosemary, and oregano, in a ziploc bag, then transferred it to the tin foil for grilling. Then, the FISH!!

    Yum, trout. Even better like this! Cause there's bacon and maple syrup.

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2217,157176-224203,00.html

    It was ridiculous. And for dinner the next day, Frank had the leftover with 2 (perfect) over easy eggs on top, and he was blown away. The bacon got crispier when I heated it up on the stove top, and overnight the maple and sweetness had really permeated the fish. I guess it turned in to gourmet breakfast for dinner. 





    No comments:

    Post a Comment